Monday, April 20, 2009

Mythos Monday - Taking the Easy Way Out

With little in the way of creativity or insight to offer, I'm just gonna' highlight the fact that I am, at heart, a consumer. Particularly of the two following things:



I ordered them this evening, should have them bu Thursday...Cthulhu Mythos mini-film festival is in my future.

Both films are fairly recent. The Call of Cthulhu is a 47-minute silent-film adaptation, that is by many accounts very faithful to the story. It was filmed by the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society and released in 2005. Cthulhu: Welcome Home to the End of the World was released in 2007. It's unique among Cthulhu-inspired horror films in two ways. First, the protagonist is gay and second, it is the only film I've ever bought that features Tori Spelling. I wonder if Cthulhu's tentacles come out of that honkin' schnozz of hers? I mentioned this movie a few months ago, and even linked a trailer.

This was born out of a non-mythos-based endeavor; I decided to start watching some good sci-fi films with my oldest son, as a sort of weekly father-son movie night. We started tonight with Forbidden Planet. Hadn't seen it in years, and it's interesting to see a young...I mean YOUNG...Leslie Nielsen. But you hear old Detective Frank Drebin come out when CDR J. J. Adams raises his voice emphatically. Anne Francis wasn't bad, either.

Hubba, hubba!

Oh yeah...son loved it, too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember hearing about that 2007 film but never saw it. I'm sure you'll have detailed reviews of each...right? ;)

Randal Graves said...

I haven't seen the second flick either, but the first is most excellent. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Chef Cthulhu said...

replicant - I would love to review Anne Francis but alas, I was born a few decades too late. Even if I could sort out time travel, Mrs. Chef would not be pleased. I was planning on posting reviews once I've watched.

Randal - I've heard that. I'm far more interested in the second one though, because so much - even aside from the protagonists sexuality - has been changed. The story takes place in the Pacific Northwest vice New England, the protagonist is returning home instead of visiting Innsmouth for the first time, the town appears prosperous vice run down...and some recognized Lovecraft "authorities" said it was great.