Sunday, April 6, 2008

This Week's Special - Pancakes

Sunday has been pancake day in the household for quite some time. Pancakes, eggs, bacon, juice, coffee, the whole ball of wax.

It started simple (and mediocre) with Bisquick Shake 'n Pour or some crap like that, until about three years ago when we traded my wife's sugar cookie recipe for my boss' pancake recipe. That ancient manuscript has long since disappeared, but it is simple enough to remember.

2 cups all purpose flour
1/8 cup sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2-1/4 cups buttermilk
2 eggs

Blend liquid ingredients. Sift dry ingredients. Add dry to liquid, mix until slightly lumpy. Cook on greased griddle. I typically use 2 cups buttermilk and 1/4 cup skim milk, simply because it stretches one pint of buttermilk through two weeks. I like my batter a little thin, so I always splash in a little extra milk.

I have a great anodized griddle, but it's getting really old...I need to replace it. And my stove is electric, which I hate - gas very much preferred.

Simple. Which is good. And the best ph00k1ng pancakes you'll ever eat, with a couple of eggs over medium (fried in butter) and some oven-fried bacon. Definitely only a once-a-week treat. I like throwing some blueberries in them - fresh is always better, but I'll take frozen.

Pix on flickr to follow.

Next week's special - RIBS! Those of you attending the Gary Gygax Memorial Game Day (GGMGD) will see what I mean.

3 comments:

JP Burke said...

Sounds a lot like the recipe I use. Scrawled on a piece of notebook paper and shoved in the spice cabinet.

When I don't have buttermilk I sour some milk and substitute that. 1 cup milk_1 tbsp lemon juice, and let sit 10 minutes to curdle. Similar acidity to buttermilk, so it work in the same recipes.

Somewhat thinner, though.

B.O.B.(bob) said...

mmm...buttermilk pancakes. Being GF means mixes for me but there are some damn fine GF pancake mixes now. As for the buttermilk, James, you might buy some powdered to keep on hand. just add water and presto, instant buttermilk.

And ribs...drool.

Bull said...

James - Done the milk and lemon juice thing,and I like it, but I really enjoy "tasting" the buttermilk. I've also used a 1tbsp vinegar to 1c milk, but wasn't a big fan.

Bob - Yeah, GF is tough. Minion #3 was diagnosed with a wheat allergy at age 1, and we did some serious exploration for WF/GF products. Fortunately, she has outgrown it, but some of the stuff we bought - pasta, bread mix, pancake mix, was just plain yummy!