Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Dormant Passions

My wife is great; she got me two new books from Amazon, and they both speak to two of my passions that, unfortunately, I have not exercised for too damned long. The first is Brewing Up a Business by Dogfish Head founder Sam Calagione. I love brewing beer. I'd love to say I've been brewing for 14 years, but in reality it's more like I've owned brewing equipment for 14 years. It's been a year at least since I've put it to use. I've always thought it would be great to make and sell my own craft brewed beer. I had even thought of a name for the brewery and beers. Who knows, with (arguably) seven years until my retirement from my first career, maybe this book will provide the spark.

The second "dormant passion" is surfing. And for that, I received All for a Few Perfect Waves, The Audacious Life and Legend of Rebel Surfer Miki Dora. I dunno' where to start about him, so I'll just quote Tolkien and leave you to substitute the name...

Gandalf! If you had heard only a quarter of what I have heard about him, and I have only heard very little of all there is to hear, you would be prepared for any sort of remarkable tale. Tales and adventures sprouted up all over the place wherever he went, in the most extraordinary fashion.


It's true. The guy was a legend. Like brewing, I haven't paddled out on one of my four boards in years. Maybe I'll get another spark...

So I can't wait to dig in - once I finish my current book.

No comments: